School Absences & Fatigue
What you need to know
- The most common sleep problem is insufficient sleep which affects both those with TSC and their caregivers.
- About 20-50% of individuals with TSC have sleep problems.
- daytime sleepiness
- going to sleep
- staying asleep
- underlying sleep disorders
- Sleepiness may manifest itself as hyperactivity in children and they will fight the sense of sleepiness by increasing motor activity to stay awake.
- Epilepsy and sleep issues:
- seizures disrupt sleep and lack of sleep increases seizures
- anticonvulsant medications can cause daytime sleepiness
- insufficient sleep is the primary cause of daytime sleepiness
- School aged children who have TSC may he increased school absences due to medical issues.