Medical / Dietary Needs
What you need to know
- No special diet is required for KS although a well-balanced diet is important. Certain children may have a GI tube or medications/accommodations for reflux.
- The severity of any one of the possible medical problems varies widely between individuals. Therefore, it is important to ask the parents about the medical issues in their child.
- School age children with KS may have annual doctor and specialist visits to monitor medical conditions.
- Be aware, or ask a parent, if the child has a medical alert bracelet.
What you can do
- A yearly checkup and studies as needed should occur in the child’s Medical Home.
- Eye and hearing exams may be done at school
- Be aware of any changes in behavior or mood that seem out of line with the situation and notify the parents.
- It is important to be aware of any academic changes. Contact parents when any differences are noticed.