Low muscle tone
This is called hypotonia.
Characteristic facial features
- Flat bridge of the nose
- Appear to slant upward (upslanting palpebral fissures)
- Small folds of skin in the inner corners (epicanthal folds
- Light colored spots (Brushfield spots) in the outer parts of the iris of the eye. These spots don’t affect an individual’s sight.
- Tends to be small and the roof of mouth may be shallow
- Tongue often protrudes and appears large in relation to the mouth due to low muscle tone.
- May come in late, be small, and appear in an unusual order
- Small, have small tops that fold over, absent ear lobes, and set lower on head
- Smaller ear passages that can lead to more frequent ear infections
- Head shape
- Smaller than normal
- Back of the head may be flatter and shorter than normal.
- Appears shorter with excess folds of skin on the back of the neck
- Rate of growth not as fast
- Average adult female height is 4 feet 9.
- Average adult male height is 5 feet 2 inches.
Hands and feet
- Small with short fingers
- Single crease extending across the palm of one or both hands
- 5th finger curves inward
- Toes have a gap between 1st and 2nd toes
- Breastbone either sticks out or dents in.
- Mottling is common, as is fair or sensitive skin.
- Thin, soft, and/or sparse