Medical and Dietary Needs
What you need to know
- The severity of any one of the possible medical conditions varies widely between individuals. Therefore, it is important to ask the parents about their child's specific medical issues.
- School age children with SMS may have multiple doctor and specialist visits to monitor medical conditions.
- Regular neurodevelopmental and developmental/behavioral evaluations are important.
- Regular hearing evaluations, to monitor for conductive and/or sensorineural hearing loss, will likely be conducted.
- Be aware, or ask parents, if the child has a medical alert bracelet.
- No special diet is required for SMS although a well-balanced diet is important.
What you can do
- A yearly check-up and studies as needed should occur in the child’s Medical Home.
- Be aware of any changes in behavior or mood that seem out of line with the situation and notify the parents.
- It is important to be aware of any academic changes. Contact parents when any differences are noticed.