Learning Module for GEMSS
Help us improve these materials by taking our survey today
Training materials for your higher education class
Whether in general or special education, every school teacher will have some students with complex needs. Sometimes those needs will be related to a genetic condition, as about 1 in 20 children have a genetic condition.
As the instructor, we want to put a resource in your hands to help future teachers meet these needs, and we want to make it easy for you.
The Learning Module for Genetics Education Materials for School Success (GEMSS) was developed to use in education and other departments at the community college, college, or university level. Our hope is to reach teachers and others before they graduate. It is suitable for other learning environments as well. Like all of our materials, these are free resources.
The Learning Module for GEMSS builds on the GEMSS website, which has:
- Vetted information and resources for 30+ genetic conditions
- Practical tips & strategies for learning
The Learning Module has suggested activities - choose one or all:
- Pre-work for students
- 2 minute video
- In or out-of-class assignments (works well online)
- Slide presentation for whole group activity
- Independent or small group activity
- Discussion questions to encourage critical thinking about inclusion for children who have genetic conditions
We encourage you to incorporate the Learning Module into your class, or share this with others who might.
Teachers can be a great support for all students - GEMSS can help!
Six Supplemental resources: